Let's Talk About Self Love

Self love is hugely important to me. As I've grown up I feel as though I have gotten to know myself so much better than I did as a young teenager - I know how far I can push myself, I know which social situations I should avoid at all costs (for my own sake) and, most importantly, I put me first.

Whilst it might seem cheesy to some of you, it is certainly true that your relationship with yourself is the longest relationship that you are ever going to have in your life. So you have to make sure it's a good one, right?

I am someone who gets stressed incredibly easy. Add to this sickening bouts of IBS and down days can be really hard, so I've learned more than a few self love tips and tricks to boost my mood - if you happen to need them, I hope they help yours too!

Have a bath.

The old classic, a hot bubble bath. My absolute favourite way to do this is with a Lush Brightside bath bomb, candles and Netflix. 

I set my laptop up on the toilet seat, put on a funny, easy-to-watch show (think The Big Bang Theory or Brooklyn 99) and CHILL OUT.

Do a face mask.

Now that I'm back at uni, having a bath is rarely feasible - I don't think my housemates would appreciate the bathroom being occupied for that long! So instead, once a week, I use a face mask.

I go up to bed early, cleanse my face, slap on The Body Shop Ethiopian Honey Deep Nourishing Mask, and relax. If you're in the market for one, this mask is really great, it doesn't dry out your skin and my face always ends up so so smooth after I wash it off.

Have a nap.

When I'm tired or stressed, I can't get any work done. I can't concentrate and it takes me twice as long to write something half as good as I could with more energy. Rather than frustrate myself, when it gets to this point I might take a nap.

I know a lot of people feel unproductive if they let themselves rest like this in the middle of the day, but I know that it works for me. I wake up feeling relaxed and energised and ready to crack on again. Give it a try!

Cook an incredible meal.

Food is always a good idea. It can refresh you, give you a new burst of energy, and it provides a good break. 

Taking the time to cook good food, from an online recipe or just off the top of your head, is soothing (well, for me anyway). And the end result is so rewarding and always makes me feel so much better!

Talk it out.

So at first this one might not feel so great, but it's the one that makes the most difference to me mentally. Baths, face masks, naps and food are all well and good to lift my mood and relax me, but talking is how problems get solved.

Like I said earlier, I get so stressed and caught up in all the little things. Even though it might work me up at first, or maybe even make me cry, talking helps. A phone call home, a chat with a friend (or partner) and all can be right with the World in a matter of minutes.

After all, a problem shared is a problem halved, right?

So there we have it, my favourite self love methods. Common, sure, but all the best methods have to be tried and tested somehow!


Haze x





Share:

0 comments