2016: The Year of Hoarding

It's a bit of an odd title, but last year I was so shocked by the amount of pure crap that I had accumulated and left in random corners of my bedroom (both at home and in Birmingham), that I decided this was the time to do something about it.

Before starting university, I took a year out and worked full time. I was being payed quite a substantial amount every month, especially seeing as I had no rent to pay or weekly food shop to do, and so I got used to having a pretty decent disposable income. In short, I shopped. I FILLED my wardrobe and all of my drawers, and it was mainly with clothing that I have hardly looked at since because I was impulse buying, because I could. 

Being a full time student, I certainly can't do that anymore! Over the summer I had a HUGE clear out and now I am quite a bit more sensible, but I could definitely do better.

So, on Saturday I shook Luke's hand and promised that I would not buy a single item of clothing, or unnecessary anything, until the Easter break. That's 74 of 0 clothes, makeup, jewellery, pyjama, shoes, stationary etc. etc. purchases. 

I have to admit that I was a bit worried about my ability to pull this off, which might sound a bit over-dramatic but anyone who knows me will know that I'm a sucker for a bit of a discount, or just anything pretty. 

So I was worried, until two of my housemates walked into my room, saw the inside of my wardrobe (my Bham bedroom has an open wardrobe, I don't just keep the door open FYI) and asked how I had managed to bring even more clothes than I had previously back with me. So, on that front, I am undoubtedly going to be fine.

Last summer, after becoming a little bit obsessed with The Anna Edit, I decided to follow her lead and give the whole capsule wardrobe trend a try. It didn't really work for me, because I feel boring if I wear the same thing too often, and also because I struggled fitting work suitable and casual home clothes into one 'capsule'. 

So, instead of limiting the amount of pieces in my wardrobe, I am going to be very good and just not shop. From now until March 24th (the last day of term) I am going to form all of my outfits solely from clothing that I have here, in my bedroom.

That means: no borrowing from my housemate (let's see how long that lasts), no panic buying dresses that will never be worn again for one fancy event (because, lets face it, I already have enough to last a lifetime) and no splashing out on new trainers just because I wear them all the freaking time.

Now I am putting this out on internet because I hope it will interest you, but also (and kind of mainly) because this way I sort of have to stick by my own rules. If I fail, I will let you know and, if I succeed, I will definitely let you know!

What are your New Year's resolutions?


Haze x 





Share:

0 comments