Making Gnocchi Bolognese

Hello! I hope you're all well. 

My last two recipe posts (which I will link here and here) went down really well, so I thought I would write another one for you all. Now this one isn't a dessert, but I really hope that hope you enjoy it all the same. Let me know if you give it a go!

Gnocchi Bolognese is fast becoming one of my favourites as it's so easy to make, but also really tasty and filling. However, I will be the first to admit that my photos don't make it look too appetising!




RECIPE (to serve 4)

  • 2 packs of gnocchi - I've been using this gluten free one from The Stony Pantry, a deli on Stony Stratford High Street, but all supermarkets do their own and there isn't a huge amount of difference in taste!



  • 1 Red onion
  • 2 Garlic cloves
  • 1 1/2 Packs of beef mince
  • 1 Tablespoon of tomato puree
  • 2 Cans of chopped tomatoes
  • Italian Seasoning
  • 2 Balls of mozzarella
  • Garlic bread (for serving: optional, but a firm favourite of mine!)


METHOD

  • Now I like to start making the bolognese part of this dish a good few hours before the gnocchi, because I think it tastes better the longer it can simmer, but it can also all be prepared together and, if you do it this way, the whole meal will probably take about 40 minutes to make.
  • Dice up the onion and garlic, throw them in a (very large) pan with some oil and let them fry until they are relatively soft and brown.
  • Add in the tomato puree and stir it around, then add in the beef and stir it all around until the beef has completely browned off. 
  • Once the beef is brown, add in the chopped tomatoes; be careful that the pan isn't too hot so the sauce doesn't spit and splash up your walls! (Not that that has ever happened to me before...) 
  • Add some Italian seasoning to the sauce and mix it in. There's no right amount to add in, really, so I would recommend seasoning to taste so you can get this meal exactly how you want it. If you think there's a bit too much tomato-ness when you taste your sauce, my Mum swears by adding a spoonful of marmite of vegemite! (Of course, this is up to you!)
  • The meat and sauce can simmer for as long as you want. While it is simmering, you need to cook your gnocchi.
  • Gnocchi is dead easy to cook, it takes two minutes in boiling water and you know that it's cooked when the little dumplings rise to the surface of the pan.
  • Drain your gnocchi and place it into the bottom of a large baking dish. Pour your bolognese on top and then add slices of mozzarella on top of this.
  • If you are cooking garlic bread as well, put this in the oven at the same time as your gnocchi bolognese, as they will both take about 15 minutes to cook at a temperature of 180C.
  • Once everything is done and your mozzarella is melted, your meal is ready to serve, I really hope you enjoy it!

Do let me know if you try this recipe, I've made it a few times now and I really really love it.


Haze x







Share:

0 comments